RSS Feed

Is It Weird That I Took My Daughter to a Cemetery?

For me, cemeteries aren’t particularly sad to walk through, nor are they unsettling in the way they seemed to be when I was a kid. Instead, they are like outdoor art museums. For instance, we found some beautifully carved tombstones in Castroville, where we took a walk through Saint Louis Cemetery.

marker-picture

marker-broken

STL Cemetery

I know this isn’t a typical mother-daughter outing. Sometimes I don’t think we give kids enough credit. Just like us adults, they can find beauty in the unusual.

For more photos from other travellers, check out Photo Friday at the family travel blog Delicious Baby.

About these ads

9 responses »

1. I don't think it's weird. :) We have an attraction here in Atlanta, an Oakland Cemetery that's very popular and family friendly. I have yet to visit but I plan to do that soon. :)

2. Very nice idea. My daughter would not enjoy such an excursion ("We're walking on dead people!") but I wish she would.

3. Absolutely not! I think cemeteries are fascinating, especially the really old ones. I DID find them creepy as a child though:)

4. Wow, love that headstone from 1863, too cool. They're is nothing wrong with wondering around a cemetery with your child. Another adventure and learning experience. Thanks for sharing.

5. Sarah, I was just thinking the same thing!! My son has been asking to go visit my dad (who passed away last year and is buried at a nearby cemetery). I actually asked him if he would find it creepy (I know, I probably shouldn't have planted that seed!). He laughed at me and said, "of course not, mom!" I think we'll be going to enjoy a piece of cake with my dad some time soon. And I plan on blogging about it! :)

6. Well, thank you for reassuring me that I'm not too weird! :) We had a nice time, and I'm hoping to find some other cemeteries to visit. The older, the better!

7. By the way, Debi, I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Losing a parent is so hard.

8. Pingback: Exploring the Granary Burial Ground « Wandering Off

9. Pingback: 15 Family-Friendly Adventures to Enjoy Before Halloween « Wandering Off